It's weird studying for a test. When was the last time I really had to study like this? Probably not since college, more than 15 years ago. So this is nothing short of a challenge for me. Putting a foot forward and making a strong effort in learning, reading, and studying.
I've now been studying for the MCP test for 4 weeks. My goal was to maintain 100 pages a week. What do you know? I'm actually a week and a half ahead of schedule! It's been a terrific time and I am certainly learning a lot. I'm now looking at taking the test sometime in December.
The studies don't come without trials. I spent a few frustrating hours integrating SQL Server Express into C# Express. I had issues installing SQL Server Express. Once installed, it turns out there is a rather HUGE difference between the visual database tools in Visual Studio .NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005. What this means is, I spent lots of time trying to figure out how to translate what the book was saying (written for VS.NET 2003 and .NET 1.1 which are older tools) into C# Express with .NET 2.0 (the latest, shiniest, and newest tools). I managed to crash C# Express on several occasions.
I should probably mention, as I mentioned in my previous post, I am actually taking an older test. A test designed for VS.NET 2003 and .NET 1.1. I have chosen to use the newer tools (Express 2005 Editions) since they are free, a MUCH better working environment (IDE - Integrated Development Environment) than 2003, and I don't want to install the old version of Visual Studio just to study for the test.
In the end, I am happy I worked through this problem. I am now blown away by the terrific visual database tools supplied in C# Express (and VS.NET 2005) and am looking forward to spending some time continuing to enhance my understanding and skills with the new database toolset after I am finished with this round of studying.
My two big prayer requests are to have clarity of mind and the capacity to retain what I am reading. I really feel these prayers have, thus far, been answered. Looking forward to the 2nd half of my studies!
No comments:
Post a Comment